Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:44:51 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM issues in -CURRENT (supplement)

On Saturday 01 September 2007 14:36:13 Rolf G Nielsen wrote:
> Mel wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 September 2007 10:54:58 Rolf G Nielsen wrote:
> >> I just installed 7.0-CURRENT (after someone said on this list that it's
> >> very stable and there are very few bugs left). So far it seems to work
> >> fine, but there's one thing that bothers me. I repeatedly get the
> >> following messages in the console:
> >>
> >> in openpam_dispatch(): pam_nologin.so: no pam_sm_authenticate()
> >> in openpam_dispatch(): pam_nologin.so: no pam_sm_setcred()
> >>
> >> One of those, or sometimes both, appear every time someone logs in, and
> >> since I use fetchmail to get mail from several accounts and deliver them
> >> locally, and then a local POP3 server from which my mail clients gets
> >> the mail, the logins, and thus the warning/error messages, are quite
> >> frequent.
> >>
> >> Now for my actual questions:
> >>
> >> 1. How severe are those messages? Should I assume that there are
> >> security holes?
> >
> > Don't think so. I think you didn't recompile PAM-aware software (like
> > fetchmail and qpopper) so PAM warns you they didn't call the proper
> > functions.
> >
> >> 2. How do I get rid of the messages? No matter how severe they are, I do
> >> NOT want them filling up the console. So how could I correct the
> >> problem?
> >
> > Silence it by altering auth.notice to auth.none on the /dev/console line
> > in /etc/syslog.conf and then restart syslogd (/etc/rc.d/syslogd restart).
> >
> >> 2a. Why do those messages appear at all? Could I have done something
> >> wrong when building and installing world and/or kernel?
> >
> > I think it's mostly the port software. Sshd for instance shouldn't
> > generate this problem.
>
> Here's exactly what I've done:
>
> 1. I downloaded the sources into a separate source tree (to keep the 6.2
> sources if I wanted to roll back), /usr/src7.

Aha! [1]

> k. mergemaster

[1] Are you sure temproot was made using /usr/src7 and not /usr/src?

I'm pretty sure this is the culprit. The only thing different that I did, was
using a cross-partition install (so that machine can boot -stable
and -current) and the major diff with that is, that you get a virgin /etc/.

Another minor diff is that you're recommended to recompile after booting
into -current, however, I still have the auth log from the first boot and did
not find any messages similar to yours, which I should have if it's a problem
in -current.

If you suspect the mergemaster problem:
mv /usr/src /usr/src6
ln -s /usr/src7 /usr/src
mergemaster

--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.