Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:05:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dc (was: Re: vinum)

In list.freebsd-chat Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de> wrote:
 > Thus spake Crist J. Clark (cristjc@earthlink.net):
 > > > However, dc is an odd tool.
 > > What? Not a fan of reverse-polish notation?
 >
 > No, it's not the polish notation, which is not a problem for me.
 > It's the odd thing, how it outputs stuff :)

Hum?  It outputs decimal numbers by default.
And it can print both odd and even numbers.  ;-)

I use dc quite often in shell scripts to calculate all
kinds of things.  It's very useful, and it's portable.
(Except for the "P" command which depends on the byte-
level representation of numbers on the respective
platforms, thus it is not portable.)

By the way, I even think that dc is turing-complete.
I haven't tried to prove it, though.  :)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)