Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:24:29 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing the junk.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:47:21 -0700
Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com> wrote:

> Please-oh-please don't remove ability to install via NFS.

No, I think it's just referring to the post-install setup of a machine
as an NFS client.  We're just discussing sysinstall on IRC at the
moment and have come up with the idea of asking what role the machine
will be and choosing appropriate settings. So, for example:

Default layout:

1GB /
2x RAM swap up to 2GB RAM, and then 1x RAM
1GB /tmp
4GB /var
[rest of drive] /usr

Desktop:

Database server:

Allocate 16GB to /usr and leave the rest for /var
Ask if the user wants to install MySQL or Postgresql (?)

NFS server:

Same layout as for Desktop but enable NFS. Or should we give 16GB
to /usr and leave the rest unallocated? I don't know enough about how
NFS servers are setup.

We *could* also choose appropriate packages similar to what Debian
does, but that's probably a step too far for FreeBSD.

--
Bruce