Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 11:30:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew McRae <amcrae@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP Hardware report for SuperMicro P6DBE

Greetings,
I am reporting some experiences with SMP on the Supermicro P6DBE Rev 1.x
motherboard that may go into the SMP rogue hardware list.
I was running this with a Fireport 40 UW SCSI card, a WD8013WC ISA Ethernet
card, and a Diamond Stealth 2000 3D PCI video card.

The P6DBE (http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/440BX/p6dbe.htm)
does not reliably run two processors. One works fine, but with two
the system will boot and run for a short time but crash or hang
within a few minutes.

I contacted Supermicro, but they were not willing to look at the
problem unless I could reproduce it using NT (not having a NT
copy around, I haven't done that). I was using the Rev 1.x motherboard,
and this has since been obsoleted with a Rev 2.x motherboard, so I
suspect that the Rev 1.x board has some inherent hardware problems.
The Rev 2.x card may well work fine - I haven't tried one.

To confirm that it wasn't FreeBSD, I swapped in an Intel N440BX
card, and this has worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks with
the same kernel that I tried with the P6DBE card.

Cheers,
Andrew McRae (amcrae@cisco.com)