Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 11:07:56 +0200
From:      Falko Meyer <wds_de@yahoo.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mouse on a Noname

Hello,

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Floris 'Tamama' van Gog writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I connected a mouse to my noname alpha running at 166Mhz, but it doesnt
>  > really like it much. It is a standard serial mouse, took me some to find
>  > one. Can someone help me make it work? At boot it already complains that
>  > the mouse is not present. Does the alpha have any special needs? No
>  > mouse prevents me to run Xwindows and I wanted to try it out :-)
>
> Is it attachted to sio0 or sio1?  If the latter, you might want to
> build a kernel without flags 0x50 for sio1.

I think "at boot" should read "at SRM initialisation".
I have the same problem, but I can live without X.
I tried several mouse types on both ports, but SRM always complains
"mouse error". Once I got some response from one (my memory says it was
an old Logitech serial), but the cursor behaves very strange (post
install configuration - mouse setup).
A longer time ago I read something about non standard serial ports on
noname and that this chapter in the handbook would be very obscure. If I
remember right, there were said that the lines of the port are normally
crossed, while they are straight at noname. Maybe one needs special
cables to connect the board with the connector and I have standard PC
ones.

Greets,
Falko Meyer