Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 15:05:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, roell@blah.a.isar.de, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

> >What a SIGIO based scheme does is interrupt whatever computation is
> >going on, read the packet from the socket, timestamp it, and put it
> >into a queue to be processed at some later time.  Once you've noted
> >the arrive time, the time criticality is gone, and you can process it
> >at your leisure.
>
> This doesn't help much if there are `M' higher priority hoggish
> interrupt handlers that run before the packet's interrupt handler,
> and `N' other hog processes in the kernel or in user code that run
> before the SIGIO is delivered.

Exactly.  You can not make Realtime guarantess on a non-Realtime
system, and you can't fudge it to pretend you are doing this,
and have it work reliably.

It's entirely possible that your client command list is going to
take a lot of crunching without kernel space calls, and since signals
are only handled on call return, you're going to be screwed even
with SIGIO.

[ ... ]

> >Of course, some of us are really weird this way.  That how we end up
> >with PLL models of the computer's clock in the kernel.
>
> Some of us wouldn't settle for an offset of 7 digits of nanoseconds :-).

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---