Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:32:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <crodrigu@bbn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SONET over PPP/IP for FreeBSD?

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone done any work or experiments to implement
> PPP/IP over SONET ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2615.txt )?

  I don't know if there are any SONET interfaces available for use.

> I am interested in doing some experiments with SONET over
> regular Ethernet equipment instead of ATM.

  That seems strange.  Can you really encapsulate SONET in ethernet
frames?  Or, do you somehow want to utilize an specially programmed
ethernet NIC to generate SONET framing?

  I know the 10GbE standard as an option supports ethernet encapsulated
inside a simplified SONET transport.

> Thanks.
> --
> Craig Rodrigues        Distributed Systems and Logistics, Office 6/304
> crodrigu@bbn.com       BBN Technologies, a Verizon company
> (617) 873-4725         Cambridge, MA

Tom