Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Drassinower <scottd@cloud9.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2-RELEASE and nfs not responding

We have two hosts that share directories via NFS.  Host 1 has some
directories from Host 2 and vice versa.  Both are running 3.2-RELEASE (and
previously ran 3.1 and 3.0) and from time to time, one server will
complain about the other not responding.

Jun  1 07:54:39 russian-caravan /kernel: nfs server \
	earl-grey.cloud9.net:/home/users: not responding

The other machine continues to be up and the mount point still works.
Once in a while nfs will say that the host is alive again, but usually
there will be several of the above error messages in a row with no mention
of the condition fixing itself.

The machines have Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B cards (or Asus P2B boards
with the cards built-in) and are attached to each other on a Cisco
Catalyst 2900XL 10/100 switch.  They speak 100/full duplex to the switch.
Currently -s,-i,-T,rw is being used to mount the directories, but the TCP
transport has not really cleared up or helped the problem.

Other NFS issues between 2.2.7 and 3.2 have been cleared up, but this is
the most annoying (and only) problem that we've seen persist.  I'm tempted
to toss the Cisco and try a different switch or just a dumb hub, but I'm
not entirely convinced it is the switch.

Is there extra debugging that NFS can use when it runs into the condition
described above?  Like perhaps what exactly makes it think the other host
is not responding?

--
 Scott M. Drassinower					    scottd@cloud9.net
 Cloud 9 Consulting, Inc.			       	     White Plains, NY