Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 10:38:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org, Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Tecra 730

> The saga of my Terca 730.  I installed 2.1.6 + XF8632 + PAO.  I had
> some problems with this, I don't remember exactally what now but
> since I needed XF8632 for my video chipset I decided to try 2.2-BETA.
>
> I installed 2.2-BETA + XF8632.  This almost worked but while running
> X + fvwm1.24r the keybord stopped working.  The mouse continued to
> work and the window manager continued to work but the keyboard did
> not.  I decided to try to apply the PAO patches PAO-961215.

They don't affect the keyboard.

> I was able to apply the patches by removing the patches to if_fe.c
> and hand applying the patch to files.i386.  I could not apply the
> patch to i386/isa/psm.c.

Both syscons and the PS/2 driver are *very* new under -BETA.

> The keyboard still locks up under X + fvwm-1.24r, restarting the X
> server brings the keyboard back.

*sigh* I suspect you could switch to another virtual terminal and do the
same thing, but w/out a keyboard it's kinda hard. :(

> I will try another window manager
> but any hints. clues, suggestions would help.  Also any hints on how
> to get the ps/2 mouse driver to work without causing the keyboard to
> stop working would be usefull.

Kazutaka is the new expert in the PS/2 & keyboard area, so I've Cc'd him
with this.  He's got a new driver for me to try out, but due to time
constraints and the holidays I haven't done anything with it.  I *just*
got my hands free for a little time this morning, so as soon as I finish
up email I'm going to install and test it on my box.

> The 3c589c-combo.
>
> It is brand new..  I have used it under win95 with both the UTP and
> BNC, at least once trying the BNC under FreeBSD immediately using the
> BNC under win95.  I have tried using the 3com utility to set the
> connector type both under win95 and msdos 6.0.  I will try again but
> and suggestions gratefully accepted.

You've already tried messing with the link flags, correct?  Try messing
with the link2 flag as well.

Nate