Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:54:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor annoyances with ZIP Plus

>>asking for the rigid geometry
>>wasn't buying us anything and the code was recently changed to use the
>>information returned by the Read Capacity command instead.
>
> This hasn't actually changed (at least in the current sd driver).  All
> that changed recently is that Read Capacity is now used to determine the
> sector size.

Yes.  It's my fault for thinking in terms of what the CAM disk driver has
been doing for some time.

> Read Capacity has always been used to determine the disk size, and Mode
> Sense of the rigid geometry page has always been used to initialize
> default values for the geometry in the dummy label for the whole disk.
> If there is a valid DOS partition on the disk, as is normally(?) the
> case for new zip disks, then these default values are not used.  In any
> case, the geometry in the dummy label for fdisk is only used by fdisk
> and sysinstall.

Which is exactly the reason why we shouldn't be using the RG page at all.
Almost every SCSI adapter we support will not properly boot a system with
a physical geometry in the MBR and when you get a new disk drive it doesn't
have a valid MBR to override the dummy label.

This is why CAM offers a facility to determine the controller translated
geometry and to use that in the dummy label.

> the highest layer (newfs) is too smart.

If it just worked, we wouldn't get so many complaints about geometry
problems during installs.

--
Justin