Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 96 09:12:00 PDT
From:      Duncan Barclay <Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FS breaks when using ft.

Hi

In preparing for upgrading from 2.1R to 2.1.5R I backed up
my system to my floppy tape using ft and tar. I then run ft on this to
just check the tape and get a contents listing. After doing this
I found that a few files were corrupted on both of
my partitions (/ and /usr).

I then tried to reread these (with ft) to / in single user mode and
with /usr mounted ro. This caused duplicate inodes to be created
and references to block -1 (as stated from fsck). Nothing happened to
/usr (so to fix these new problems I'm going to mount a mfs file system
and have / ro).

This is a little worrying to say the least!

I have a UMC based 486 board, with a SGS 486DX2-66, 20meg ram,
drives are both IDE hanging from a VESA IO card, also I have a NEC
8bit SCSI card, 3c509 standard VESA graphics. and fax modem. I running
stock 2.1R with the patches to ft I sent in via send-pr a while back (should
not cause this as they were only to do with adding extra table entries for
travan sized tapes).

Thanks

Duncan Barclay