Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:28:29 +1100
From:      "George Codsi" <gcodsi@tattersalls.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Clarification of access to RTC on PC based FreeBSD

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BE5FF9.90A9DFE0

Your Y2K web page states:

"Note also that the OS expects to read the current date and time from =
the CMOS clock of your computer. Not all of these devices correctly =
handle the year 2000.
You are advised to test each platform individually to ensure that your =
hardware clock behaves correctly when going from 1999 to 2000, and that =
it correctly
interprets the year 2000 as a leap year."

I presume that this means that the Real Time Clock is directly accessed =
by FreeBSD, rather than via the BIOS. Many new PCs (even now) are BIOS =
compliant but not RTC compliant. It means we have to be extra careful =
about which PCs we run FreeBSD on.

Can you confirm please ?

Thanks.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BE5FF9.90A9DFE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Your Y2K web page states:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&quot;Note also that the OS expects to read the =
current date=20
and time from the CMOS clock of your computer. Not all of these devices=20
correctly handle the year 2000.<BR>You are advised to test each platform =

individually to ensure that your hardware clock behaves correctly when =
going=20
from 1999 to 2000, and that it correctly<BR>interprets the year 2000 as =
a leap=20
year.&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I presume that this means that the Real Time Clock =
is directly=20
accessed by FreeBSD, rather than via the BIOS. Many new PCs (even now) =
are BIOS=20
compliant but not RTC compliant. It means we have to be extra careful =
about=20
which PCs we run FreeBSD on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Can you confirm please ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BE5FF9.90A9DFE0--