Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        julian@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone T/TCP?

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0210040804420.13322-100000@InterJet.elischer.org>,
Julian Elischer  <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
> Richard Stevens was the great T/TCP proponent. Since his untimely
> demise, it has been languishig.. I think many firewalls now routinely
> block packets with both SYN and FIN which is what T/TCP does.

Accepting incoming T/TCP creates a pretty serious DoS vulnerability,
doesn't it?  The very first packet contains the request, which the
server must act upon and reply to without further delay.  There is no
3-way handshake, so a simple attack using spoofed source addresses can
impose a huge load on the victim.

John
--
  John Polstra