Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:27:29 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: DEVFS not creating slice devices for my SCSI disks

I'm pretty sure I labelled all three disks with the auto mode
of disklabel.

It's wierd that it used to work at CTM src-cur 3429 but not now.

As I've just said to Julian, removing DEVFS and SLICE gives
me a working system.

Can I just edit these disklabels and put 'SCSI' in place of unknown
without affecting the filesystems ?  (I hope so!).

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 03:49:36PM +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
> > Following up my own message.
> >
> > Its the DEVFS probe of the disklabel that is failing to find
> > any slices (partitions).
> >
> > The old kernel finds partition 0 but the new one finds none.
> >
> > There is no MBR on any of these SCSI disks according to all my
> > DEVFS kernels.   Is that a problem now ?
> >
> > Here are the disklabels (all are similar just the sizes differ):
> >
> > eddie: {1} disklabel -r sd1
> > # /dev/rsd1:
> > type: unknown
>
> This should say 'SCSI', I think.  I don't remember exactly which
> effects you'll get by having it wrong, but they'll clearly be there.
>
> Eivind.

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973