Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:41:00 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freebsdfoundation.org>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, brian@collab.net, calvin.austin@sun.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:28:39PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> I think you misunderstand how business works.  We could be open (as
> open as SASL allows) or closed in our efforts regardless of the
> methodology used to create the freely available work that the Foundation
> is using as the basis for its binary releases.  That is how the Sun
> licensing of Java technology works.  Its also how BSD works.

Again, what your group did was to meddle in a situation that you didn't
understand and still don't. This group is open, you funnel money into
the group without understanding how it would effect it and simply
dismissed your group's responsibility to effectly manage a situations
that you simple don't understand.

> You are trying to turn this into a power play.  I'm sure the FreeBSD
> Java group can handle its own politics.  The Foundation has no role

This is Java politics. This relationship was interrupted and turned into
something else as soon as I was left out of the political loop. I've
always been apart of it but something happened because somebody, either
Nate, Greg and some other phenomenon decided to pull some personal shit
that you still don't see or understand being true..

That's still your responsiblity. There's a fire and you folks threw
gasoline into it without looking.

> to play there and has no interest in it.  I'm sorry you believe that

Of course you do.

> our simplistic goal is causing such strife for you and/or the FreeBSD
> Java project.  That was not our intent and is not our fault.

It's not simple. Your group could potentially funnel millions of dollars
into the project if the opportunity was presented and if the management
layer (you folks) where .

And it's at least half your fault in this matter, the other half is in
FreeBSD Java.

> And I'm sure the community is grateful for all of your hard work.  Regardless,

That's completely condescending.

> that does not make you any more or less competent than Alexey or a great
> many others in the community that understand this technology.  Saying

Alexey wouldn't have been able to do any of this work and would still be
screwing with Linux signal handling instead of having a function VM. For
that matter 3/4 of the FreeBSD kernel staff wouldn't have been able to
do this work since it's so specialize and esoteric. You have to have a
poor technical understanding of this or else you wouldn't be saying this
crap.

> otherwise is a slight on people you don't even know and a condemnation
> of a selection process that you know nothing about.  As has been mentioned

Saying what otherwise ? that I'm effectively the lead technical engineer on
this project, not by choice but by my knowledge in this area. And you
absolutely need this or somebody like me for it to be completed. Alexey
so far hasn't demonstrated the patience to be able to fixs or locate key
bugs in the threading system nor key parts of the HotSpot VM system
concerning GC.

> several times in this thread, the Foundation is ready to be judged by the
> outcome of its initiatives, whether they revolve around Java or other areas
> of interest to the FreeBSD community.

Ready ? to be judged like in Terminator ?

How about feedback on how you folks can deal with the role you already
have in a responsible and adult manner ?

> The group dynamics of the FreeBSD Java project are completely outside
> the Foundation's charter.  Please launder your own dirty laundry.

Charter yes, but effective scope ? no. That's a failure in the understanding
how groups like this function and how the lack of structure or a presummed
structure. That'a deep dysfunction of your group's role in it.

Just because FreeBSD has had less that spectactor leadership over the
years doesn't mean that this should be acceptable or chronic to this
project.

This is VERY bad.

bill