Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:27:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 59359513 - Dawn Gray

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012, Eitan Adler wrote:

>> If it is configured for Optimus you would have problems. If it is a
>> standalone card, then it will be fine. Check with the manufacturer.
>
> I finally did so.  It turns out I was mislead and the nvidia card
> *can* be disabled. My only remaining concern between the T530 and Y580
> is the intel nic.  The T-series was highly recommend but for similar
> parts the latter is much cheaper.

Keep in mind that Lenovo has continued the IBM tradition of branding
their wireless cards and making sure the BIOS will not work with
unbranded cards.  So if you wanted to change to say, an Atheros card,
you'd have to find one that is Lenovo branded.

Oh, and also some of the Lenovo machines don't want to boot from
GPT-formatted disks.