Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 03:51:54 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sync card?

In <Pine.BSF.3.91.970911085737.818a@panda.hilink.com.au> you wrote:

> > We use Cyclades 16y,

> Sadly, it is true that Cyclades supports Linux but not FreeBSD, but I
> found there was plenty of support from FreeBSD-isp, FreeBSD-hackers.
>
> > We plan to buy some others boards, If you have some experience with your
> > driver/supplyer/PPP

> Well, you can also try the Stallion boards, but before you ditch Cyclades
> note well that the Linux drivers for Cyclades are add-ons supplied by
> Cyclades; the FreeBSD driver is ***integrated into the FreeBSD kernel***.
> This is why you need to ask FreeBSD people about the driver, not
> Cyclades Inc.

> I have found the Cyclades cards to work well, without much fuss, except
> for some CLOCAL problems.  What problems did you experience?

Hi!

Sorry for intrudision, but we have a lot of problems with PCI Cyclades 16Y.
First, our terminal server (2.2.1, P120, 2 SCSI HDD) completely refused
to work properly with them -- it persistently crashed in some ten minutes
after boot, when all 15 modems were on. With 10 modems it crashed in half
an hour. All that was accompanied with silo overflows (hundreds of them
on each port). The same thing happened with the other terminal server
(2.2.2, P100 IDE HDD) -- here it was only 8 lines which caused crash in
some ten minutes after boot. So we switched back to digi and ISA Cyclades.

Though these two terminal servers there pretty busy (mail relays as well).
So we installed another terminal server, which handles only dial-in
(3.0-970807-SNAP, P150). With only 5 lines (38400 on Cyclades ports) it
lives quite stably now, but silo overflows still persist, and we are afraid
that if we switch on some 10 lines more, it also will die.  :(

As far as I can track current, there's some work under way on cy driver.

May be, someone have some hints on tuning the driver? I may survive
overflows, but if the machine crush every two hours, it will be
catastrophic.

Or may be, someone have any idea what to use for about 30 dial lines
to be handled by the single FreeBSD box?

--
Alexander Litvin