Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:31:16 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very slow SSh since upgrading machines to RELENG_4_8

On Mon Sep 09/22/03, 2003 at 04:39:58PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > This sounds suspiciously like DNS timing out. I seem to remember this is
> > due to the fact the default config of sshd now enables privilege
> > seperation. sshd chroots into /var/empty and therefore can't access
> > /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.
>
> O.K., that sounds like its the problems - though doesnt explain why the
> timeout only occurrs between machines on the same subnet, rather than
> those on differing subnets. I'll give it a go. Possibly the split
> horizon DNS should be my best option, though its not something I;ve
> ever done before and am thus slightly reticent...

If you depend entirely on /etc/hosts for hosts on the same subnet, and
for DNS for hosts outside it, you'll see exactly this behaviour:

http://news.gw.com/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/189060

for starters.

/etc/hosts is not copied into the chroot environment.

Split horizon DNS is not all that tricky to implement, even with BIND.
:)

--
Greg White