Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:25:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Peter Ankerst?l <peter@pean.org>
Cc:        Stephen Willson <Stephen.Willson@stjoe.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache and PHP Packages

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:56:04 +0200 Peter Ankerst?l <peter@pean.org> wrote:
 > Stephen Willson wrote:
 > > I have installed the latest Apache and PHP Packages. I can get
 > > Apache working, but nothing is standing out as to why I can't get
 > > the PHP package to work. Best I can figure is that this package was
 > > compiled without the options to include apache support. -or- there
 > > is another package that adds support for apache 2.2.3
 > >
 > > i installed:
 > >
 > > php5-5.1.6_3
 > > apache-2.2.3
 > >
 > > (and dependencies).
 > >
 > > can't figure it out. i haven't installed /compiled with FreeBSD in
 > > a long time so I thought the packages would be easy enough...
 >
 > I dont know whether or not the php-package are built with the apache module but
 > have you configured your apache correctly? have you added
 > AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
 > AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
 >
 > to your apache conf?
 >
 > My suggestion would be to compile the packages from the ports-collection to make
 > sure the module is compiled and then make sure that the webserver is configured
 > properly.
 >
 > You can read about the ports collection and how to use it here:
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

Unless it's changed quite recently (always possible), installing PHP5
from a package does not get you mod_php5 / libphp5.so, unlike PHP4.

As packages are built with default options, and as building the apache
module is not enabled by default (without/before running make config),
you now HAVE to use the port for PHP5, selecting the module in config.

I don't know why this became the default, assuming the majority of
php users are installing it for the apache module, but there it is.

Cheers, Ian