Date:      Thu, 29 May 2008 13:45:56 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Arnaud Houdelette <arnaud.houdelette@tzim.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS on root and disk write caching.

--Qbvjkv9qwOGw/5Fx

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:00:41PM +0200, Arnaud Houdelette wrote:
> I'm playing around with ZFS.
>=20
> Currently, I just use it for storage, with a zpool of 4 sata disks.
> The system and boot disk is still formatted with UFS.
>=20
> As I'm quite pleased with ZFS features, I'd like to try ZFS on root. The=
=20
> ZFS wiki is quite clear on how to proceed : if the boot and root are on=
=20
> the same disk, you'll have to use bsd labels.
>=20
> The thing is, I read somewhere that ZFS doesn't enable write caching on=
=20
> drives if not used on whole disks.

This is only the case for Solaris, as it turns off write cache by
default. In FreeBSD we always turn on write cache, so don't worry, it
will just work on FreeBSD.

[...]
> 3. I'd like to keep the storage pool (zraid1) separated from the system=
=20
> pool (just one disk). The wiki states that we may encounter problems=20
> with more than one pool in use : is it still the case ?

AFAIK it was never the case. Where did you find that information
exactly? I've two systems that have more than one pool configured and
never had any problems.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--Qbvjkv9qwOGw/5Fx