Date:      04 May 2001 16:51:21 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
Cc:        , freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Purpose of serial number in zone files (BIND)

Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk> writes:

> I'm not sure why you'd want to do this - is this not reinventing
> the wheel ?

It is re-inventing the wheel somewhat. But we need more ease of use
for admin staff. We need to dump the schlepp factor of making changes
onto someone else.

> With either of the two options below aren't you introducing single
> points of failure that the master/slave situation was designed to
> avoid ?

Not really. At any point, there will still be active zone files for
all domains on all servers. The only thing that may not happen is for
an update or an addition to go out. This is not that critical for us.

> With either of these you've still got to change a file somehow ...
>
> > 1. Keep authoritative master copies of all zone files in CVS.
> >
> > 2. Option 2. Maintain a database with one table per zone file.

Not with option 2. With option 2 we can slap a web interface on the
whole thing, that allows the admin to change a single record or to add
a new zone.

We can then pass this kind of work onto more junior admins and know
that they aren't going to screw the config file up on a server when
they add a new zone.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk