Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:59:32 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router and httpd?

At 01:18 AM 1/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
>
>> Ok.. what is the difference between 'routed' and 'gated' ?
>
>routed is a pile of garbage and gated is a routing daemon.
>
>> And, can I use the same box to work as a firewall?
>
>A router forwards packets. A firewall doesn't forward packets.
>If you think a router with filters installed is a firewall then
>it will work fine. But I think a firewall should be FreeBSD with packet
>forwarding disabled and TIS firewalls toolkit or Juniper
>http://www.obtuse.com installed on it. Squid too for WWW proxy.

I think the term "firewall" has come to mean way too many things, and
what Michael is talking about is different from what the average Joe is
happy with. For simple firewalling, the features in FreeBSD are fine...
if you're setting up a serious, multi-domain firewall with complex
rules, then you may want to try something different.

Dennis