Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:35:03 -0500
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "'Dean Hollister'" <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, "ajk@mastigo4.demon.co.uk" <ajk@mastigo4.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Cyrix 6x86 CPU

Well of course THAT's going to work, you have all the processors listed
there.
The one that you need for the Cyrix 6x86 CPU is the following.  YES that's
the 486, the kernel will panic if you define only the 586.

cpu		"I486_CPU"

My understanding is that by listing all of those processor types, the
kernel is not optimized for your specific processor and is a bit slower.