Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:02:51 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C++ to C convertor??

Kyle Mestery wrote in message ID
<Pine.GSO.3.96.970917203713.12840A-100000@tundra.winternet.com>:
> > I bet its a version of the Acorn ARM assembler. It should understand
> > .o, and should have its own linker. So you can compile the stuff using
> > gcc on another box, and take it over to the devel env and link (in
> > theory). That is assuming that DEC didn't use a proprietary assembler.

> Bingo.  They use an object file format called Arm Object Format.  Not
> supported by gnu gcc.

It is (or was atleast). Not in the official gnu stuff, but I *KNOW*
for a fact I was mixing GNU CC compiled stuff and Acorn's as output
(mind you, it *WAS* the Acorn Archimedes version of GCC, and probably
had a mangled backend to support Acorns as format). I know 'cos I have
a hard drive at home with a linked (ARM) version of the freebsd kernel
:) (non-functional, unfortunately)

> Actually, it is from ARM.  It is part of the ARM Software Development Kit.

Aha. It'll be standard Acorn AS then I bet. It wouldn't surprise me if
it was the Norcrosft C Compiler either.

Gary