Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:35:24 -0300
From:      Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        discuss@linuxdoc.org, rhayden@apple.com, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs

--=-=-=

Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> writes:

> I've been talking with the folks at Darwin about setting up a

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's 'Darwin'? Any FreeBSD team?=20

> documentation repository that would contain documentation that is either
> truly cross-platform, or that has a minimum of OS-specific content --
> the sort of thing that can be handled with
>
>     <para os=3D"linux">...</para>
>
>     <para os=3D"freebsd">...</para>
>
> and so forth.

That's OK. Just minimal stylesheet customization would handle that
easily.=20

> I don't expect that every documentation project's documentation would
> move there (there's a lot of FreeBSD doc. proj. stuff that's totally
> FreeBSD specific) but things like "Unix basics", "How to write a man
> page", and so on would go here.

That's what I was thinking about.

These generic guidelines, internet behaviour, theoretical documents,
etc. are perfect for sharing among several projects. Having them
together is "a good thing"(tm).=20

My fear is that things come to and end as OSWG. OSWG wasn't OS
specific and it simply vanished.=20

> So far, the discussions on this with the Darwin folk have stalled.  That
> is completely my fault -- my free cycles went out the window practically
> as soon as I got back from the US, and I've been working on things that
> pay the mortgage ever since.

Aren't we all working more than we used too? :-P

> [ Plug: Skilled SGML / XML / XSLT / Perl / C Unix hacker for hire.=20=20
>         Preference for working on Open Source projects. ]

<joke>
:o)) If somebody has more money to spend, and doesn't know what to do
with it, I'd like to get some too. >:o)=20
</joke>

OK... Nik needs it more than I do... Hire him. ;-)

> I don't want this to stumble just because I haven't got the time to
> work on its inception, so I'm sending this in the hope that interested
> parties can take this further.

I am interested, but I can't assume another project. I can see that we
have some net resources, thought. And I'd like to contribute to it.

See you,
=2D-=20
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Solutions Developer       - Conectiva Inc. - http://en.conectiva.com