Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:57:11 +0106 (EDT)
From:      "eric k. wolven" <wyrdwulf@catskill.net>
To:        djohnson@acuson.com
Cc:        jfulton@e3tech.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch

I agree with Dave:  I have both installed on my box.

They both have different advantages that might appeal to different people.

I do tend to use FreeBSD a bit more but that's because it's "newer" to me
and I'd like to be comfortable with the os...

I like Debian because of its ease of packaging system and updating--though
I'm hard pressed with cvsup on FreeBSD to say which is "superior".

I'm not a geek professionally beyond my interest in alternate oses but I
found both FreeBSD and Debian to be excellent for me...

Eric Wolven

---Reply to mail from David Johnson about Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch
> "Joel M. Fulton" wrote:
>>
>> Greetings-
>>
>> I am looking to switch (personal) desktops from Win2K/NT/9x to either
>> FreeBSD or the Debian distribution of Linux.  I've spent a lot of time
>> researching distributions, usability, hardware compatibility, etc. and have
>> a component system spec'd with hardware appropriate for either.  I have also
>> lurked on this (and other) FreeBSD lists and Debian lists - trying to get
>> sense of the environment from its people, so to speak, before making my
>> decision.
>>
>> I am asking for and would like comments about the reason you made your
>> decision to use FreeBSD.
>> How has your experience been so far?
>> Now that you're a FreeBSD user, would you have rather chosen another OS?
>> Did you begin using FreeBSD for politico-ethica-socio-spiritual reasons if
>> not, why did you begin using FreeBSD?
>> What three things do you wish you would've known before adopting FreeBSD?
>
> Try them both! Use them both for at least a week. Install some new
> packages. Do some systems administration. Etc. You may end up liking
> them both. There's no reason you have to stick with one or the other.
>
> As for politico-ethica-socio-spiritual reasons, don't worry about it.
> They're operating systems, not denominations in a church :-) The High
> Debian Mucky Mucks pay a lot of lip service to political correctness,
> but everyone else still uses Debian simply because they like it.
>
> David

---End reply