Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:42:57 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AIO Enabled?

Hi all,

I found old mail threads and blog posts (circa 2006 - 2010) that stated AIO
is not enabled by default in FreeBSD.  However, when running strings on the
kernel, it appears AIO bits may be available...

$ sudo strings -n3 /boot/kernel/kernel | grep -i aio
aio_swake
freebsd32_aio_read
freebsd32_aio_write
freebsd32_aio_return
freebsd32_aio_suspend
freebsd32_aio_cancel
freebsd32_aio_error
freebsd32_oaio_read
freebsd32_oaio_write
freebsd32_aio_waitcomplete
freebsd32_aio_fsync
freebsd32_aio_mlock
AIOSTOP: bad channel 0x%x
AIOSYNC chan 0x%03lx pos %lu unimplemented
AIONWRITE
AIOGSIZE
AIOSSIZE
AIOGFMT
AIOSFMT
AIOGMIX
AIOSMIX
AIOSTOP
AIOSYNC
AIOGCAP
nfsaio
aio_prio_delta_max
aio_max
aio_listio_max

aio(4) states it can be linked in the kernel using options VFS_AIO or
dynamically using loader.conf or kldload suggesting it still is not enabled
by default.  This brings me to a couple questions I hope are easily
answered.

1) Is AIO still disabled by default in FreeBSD 10.x and newer?
2) Does strings send the same output above to STDOUT irregardless of
whether AIO is enabled/disabled?

Thanks.

--
Take care