Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:41:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a counter

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 1997 at 09:00:34AM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
>
> > You can look at the stats pages: www.freebsd.org/stats.html, or
> > if you like inflated figures, www.freebsd.org/stats-img.html.
>
> The latter one seems to be no different to www.freebsd.org/stats.html.
> Or do I miss something?

The first one shows an average of 32,582 hits a day.
The second shows an average of 129,954 hits a day.

The second one includes images.

I get really irritated when people report hit-counts, implying
*pages* viewed but neglect to weed out the images because, as you
can see, images really inflate the numbers.

Including images also seriously skew "browser share" stats
against lynx.  Viewing one page in lynx generates one hit
(ignoring caching for the moment) while the same page may
generate 10 or 15 hits for a graphical browser.

Now, in the my-server-is-faster-than-yours wars, images stats are
important.  :)

-john