Date:      Sat, 04 May 2002 11:44:55 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1020504032841.21461e-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Rob
ert Watson writes:

>Here's my opinion: if it's a change
>that can be made by one person in one week without boatloads of lasting
>compatibility and ABI concerns, and you're volunteering to do it, then I
>think it's a great idea.

That's not even remotely close to realistic.

I think a realistic plan might look something like this:

1.  Change the in-kernel types to 64 bits
    for each entity to change size:
	   a) rewrite syscall entries to translate sizes.
	   b) change size in kernel, but retain old size in userland

2.  Add new syscall API
    a) write syscalls implementations.

3.  Change userland over.
    a) Add #ifdef NEWAPI all over the includes so people can select
       which API to use.
    b) Create new major-revv libc which uses new API
    c) Leave people time to find bugs in ports etc.
    d) Throw the switch for good.

Earliest realistic dates would be 3c on juli 1st and 3d a month later.

Is that too late for 5.0-R ?