Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 21:45:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Commercial Applications??

Howdy,

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, Greg. First your book is a great
addition to my library. Second I can't Linux bash because I have Linux
running on another machine and am on some Linux mailing list (and have
submitted design concepts to the Debian GNU/Linux project for their logo.)

How about:

A free implementation of the Famous BSD Unix (including X-windows) for
IBMs and compatables.

[including 'X-windows' only for the uninitiated who will be drawn to a
windows environment from Windoze]

This would have caught my attention and wouldn't imply a 'johnny come
lately' product.

You guys have worked too hard to imply you are trying to cash in on the
free unix craze. Be proud of what you have done and don't try to tie
yourself in with the Linux group.

BTW - I run FreeBSD almost exclusively and am really thinking about
switching my other machine to it (still testing though)

should I get out my asbestos BVDs??

 > Doug White writes:
> > On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Keith Leonard wrote:
> >
> >> BTW - drop the 'Berkley alternative to Linux' sounds like you are trying
> >> to catch up or are afraid of Linux - and you shouldn't be, you've got them
> >> beat hands down on almost every front.
> >
> > You're referring to the note on the spine of the 'Complete FreeBSD' book.
> > I have to agree.
>
> Oh.  I thought this was a good compromise between "Linux-bashing" and
> introducing as succinctly as possible what the book was all about.
> Some of the alternatives I heard were rather radical, and I didn't
> think that was appropriate.  If anybody has a different suggestion
> about how to attract the attention of a half-disinterested browser in
> a bookshop, I'd appreciate it, and I know Walnut Creek would too.
>
> Greg

Keith
keithl@gil.net
Character is what you are in the dark - John Warfin