Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:00:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      bsdadmin@spork.sr.unh.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386/10307: Problem booting SMP kernel on Tyan S1668 Titan Pro ATX: mpfps Base Table HOSED!

>Number:         10307
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Problem booting SMP kernel on Tyan S1668 Titan Pro ATX: mpfps Base Table HOSED!
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a Tyan S1668 Titan Pro ATX motherboard with 2-200MHz Pentium
Pro processors, 192Mbs memory, Adaptec 2940U SCSI, 3COM 3C509 ethernet
controller, and a ATI 3D expression + PC2TV video card which is not
able to boot an SMP FreeBSD kernel. If I take a config file which
works on this system (without smp support) and uncomment the lines:

options SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

and compile and boot the new kernel, I get the following message:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.00
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1

FreeBSD/i386  bootstrap loader, Revision 0.5 639/65472kB
(teh@vorlon, Tue Feb 16 12:12:24 EST 1999)
/kernel text=0x1bb406 data=0x1d2ac+0x20e20 syms=[0x4+0x26830+0x4+0x26a24]
Booting [kernel]...
BIOS basemem (639K) != RTC basemem (640K), setting to BIOS value
panic: mpfps BaseTable HOSED!
mp_lock=00000001; cpuid=0; lapic.id=00000000
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

The output of mptable shows the following:

MPTable, version 2.0.15

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f0e70
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x02
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x000f0e84
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            308
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x02
  OEM ID:                       'OEM00000'
  Product ID:                   'PROD00000000'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  39
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        0
  extended table checksum:      0

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x11    BSP, usable     6       1       7       0xfbff
                 1       0x11    AP, usable      6       1       7       0xfbff
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI
                 1       ISA
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                ExtINT   conforms    conforms        1     0          2    0
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     1          2    1
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     0          2    2
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     3          2    3
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     4          2    4
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     5          2    5
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     6          2    6
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     7          2    7
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     8          2    8
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     9          2    9
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    10          2   10
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    11          2   11
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    12          2   12
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    13          2   13
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    14          2   14
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    15          2   15
                INT     active-lo       level        0  14:A          2   16
                INT     active-lo       level        0  13:A          2   17
                INT     active-lo       level        0  12:A          2   18
                INT     active-lo       level        0  11:A          2   19
                INT     active-lo       level        0   7:A          2   19
                INT     active-lo       level        0  10:A          2   16
                SMI      conforms    conforms        1     0          2   23
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                ExtINT   conforms    conforms        0   0:A        255    0

# SMP kernel config file options:

# Required:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional (built-in defaults will work in most cases):
#options                NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options                NBUS=2                  # number of busses
#options                NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options                NINTR=24                # number of INTs

I am using gcc version 2.7.2.1. I began tracking kernel updates
using cvsup hoping that an update would be posted that would fix the
problem, but have been unlucky so far, which is why I'm reporting the
problem. Is there anything special I need to do in order to boot this
into SMP mode that I might be missing? If there is more information
that you need, please let me know and I will be happy to supply it.
>How-To-Repeat:
Build any 3.X kernel on my dual Tyan S1668 Titan Pro motherboard
and try to boot it. I get the exact same message each time.