Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 14:15:16 MST
From:      steve@khoros.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot install problems

	I posted a message several days ago that I was having problems
	getting the multiboot working on my system.  My system is configured
	as sd0 with freebsd, sd1 dos, and sd2 a combination of both freebsd
	and dos partitions.  After a couple of suggestions and some ideas
	I got from reading this list, I figured that my problems with the
	multiboot were probably due to the fact that the geometry in dos
	and freebsd were not agreeing.  So, I back'ed up my disk, and
	prepared to start over with the install with a correct disk geometry.
	So, I dug out my drive manual, and ran pfdisk in dos and set the
	geometry of the disk to what it is supposed to be.  I also made sure
	that my adaptec's auto mapping of drives > 1GB option was off.

	After setting the geometry in dos, I booted of the boot floppy, and
	ran the install program.  From fdisk here, I set the geometry to the
	same as I set it from pfdisk in dos.  Then I proceeded to make
	my /, swap, /usr, and user partions and it got to the point where
	it told me to remove the boot floppy and reboot.

	When I did this the boot stops when it accesses the hard disk.  No
	error message at all, it just sits there forever.  So,
	appearently I've messed up the geometry really bad now.. :)  So, my
	question is, "What am I doing wrong?"  Should low level the disk
	and start from a blank slate?  Are the real numbers provided in
	my hd manual not the correct ones?  Does this boot menu program
	require a human sacrifice? :)

	A friend of mine has gone through the install on a < 1GB drive, and
	all this stuff just worked for him, so I'm thinking it has something
	to do with the fact the partion layout stuff just doesn't work on
	a hd that is too big.  Has anyone that is using a > 1GB disk
	gotten this multiboot thingy to work?

	Any help appreciated.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen        | Khoral Research Inc.
steve@khoros.unm.edu    | 6001 Indian School, Suite 200
(505) 837-6500          | Albuquerque, NM 87110
This Space for Rent.	| URL: http://www.khoros.unm.edu