Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:33:27 -0700
From:      "Brian" <bri@sonicboom.org>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <dinoex@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sendmail upgrade

I have FreeBSD 4.3 release, which came with Sendmail 8.11.3.  I decided to
upgrade to 8.11.6, which was in the ports tree.  Well it appears that the
previous version was in /usr/sbin, and was a link to /usr/sbin/mailwrapper.
The new version is in /usr/local/sbin.  I changed the perms from 555 to 444
on the old one, but have an issue.  Looking at the rc.conf files, there is
no arg for sendmail location, only whether you want it and the flags to pass
to it.  /etc/rc seems to contain a complete path, but the notes in there say
I probably shouldn't edit it, and if I need to, I should let somebody know.
That is what I am doing.  It would be nice for more info to be given at the
end of the install.  I also edited /etc/mail/mailer.conf per the notes at
the end.   I searched the ports list for sendmail via the webpage and got no
matches.  I suspect this is a bunk result, so I am writing this message.

    Brian Whalen