Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:35:18 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@triax.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Australian backbone providers

On Fri, 20 February 1998 at 10:15:25 -0800, Jim Mock wrote:
> Anyone know any good backbone providers in Australia?  Particularly the
> Wagga Wagga area.. I know Telstra's there and Optus as well, but I was
> curious about any others.  We're considering going international and I need
> to get info on pricing etc, and would like to explore as many options as
> possible.

You should be aware that Telstra has several operations.  The backbone
operation works quite well, except that they insist on assigning one
of their IP addresses to your gateway, and they assign a silly name to
go with it.  The service has been pretty good in the 7 odd months I've
been connected.  Check out http://www.telstra.net/.  Don't confuse
this with their toy network at http://www.bigpond.com, which is very
bad.

Greg