Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 06:39:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Userland PPP won't kill itself after hangup

Hi,

I am using iijppp on our terminal server (2.2.5-RELEASE), some ports with
and others w/o PAP authentication. Everything works flawlessly up to the
point of a disconnection. When the "client" (I know it is really a "peer")
hangs up, the ppp -direct process won't die, so getty dosen't respwan and
the modem won't answer. If I manually kill the ppp process and -HUP init,
everything goes back to "normal".

I have used several different gettys (normal, the PAPped version from
-current, a different PAPped version from ftp.sol.net, and mgetty-1.0.0),
and they all have the same result.

I am thinking it may be a permission problem, since the ppp process itself
runs UID 0. The user could not kill the old ppp even if they wanted to.
(But the process should kill itself w/o intervention...)

I did make a ppp.linkdown script, but it does not get executed. I get the
same results w/ and w/o lqr reporting. The peer platforms makes no
difference (Win95, FreeBSD, NT, etc). You can cause the problem by simply
unplugging the line on an active modem, and replugging it in a few seconds
later. PPP is still there!

I do have some serial weirdness, since I have ttydX's in my /etc/ttys, and
run "ppp -direct /dev/cuaaX" from my PPP login shell, but this worked
fine w/ the my old setup (2.1.7). Do I even need -direct, or will the
implied stdout do the same?

Thanks for any help,
Kevin