Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:46:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-misuser@dyndns.dk
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB vendore designations..

In message: <200412300719.iBU7JlL06874@Mail.NOSPAM.DynDNS.dK>
            Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk> writes:
: [I can't sent Matt a copy of this directly, so...]
:
: On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:02:08 -0700 (MST), Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > > https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usbdevs/
: > > (sort by date for latest updates)
:
: > I think that it is going to take sepveral steps to get from here to
: > there.  Since I have CVS access to both FreeBSD and NetBSD, I can
: > directly make changes there.  Since I prefer smaller, more easily
: > tested patches to one big jumbo patch, I'd like to propose that we
: > harmonize strings first, as much as possible, before going after the
: > name changes.  I'd also like to do these in smaller batches so that
:
: Okay, here's the status of things, as far as I know:
:
: Matt and Julian have merged the D/FBSD differences into -current, so
: that there's nothing missing between them.

This isn't true.  Julian committed a huge diff, it failed, he backed
it out.  I've committed parts of the non conflicting stuff, and will
continue to do so cautiously.

: As NetBSD is somewhat more state-of-the-art here, the majority of
: catching-up needs to happen in D/FBSD.  And OpenBSD.

Actually, that's not entirely true either.  FreeBSD had a boatload of
vendors not in NetBSD, and there's general agreement that the OpenBSD
shortness of names is a good thing.

: > I'd also like to merge more predictably.  Eg, I'd like to merge the
: > stuff that isn't in FreeBSD into NetBSD and vice versa and then go
:
: The first is easy; the second takes more effort.  Feel free to
: take my work-in-progress and start from that.  As you see, it's
: taken two weeks for me to get where I am today, that normal
: people need maybe two hours.

I did the first round of merging in about an hour, along with the
merge backs to NetBSD.

My big worry is breaking things on NetBSD when I merge back things
there, so I really want to be cautious and do things very carefully.

Warner