Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:52:34 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOLVED: minor 3.1-S --> 3.2-S problem

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 11:22:03AM -0400, Dennis Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > Show me your problematic /etc/rc.conf (in private).
>
> Files attached. rc.conf is the active file, rc.conf.defaults is the
> renamed default rc.conf file. Thanks much.

You misunderstood the concept.  The concept is (cutted from rc.conf):
+---------------------------------------------------------------------
| This is rc.conf - a file full of useful variables that you can set
| to change the default startup behavior of your system.  You should
| not edit this file!  Put any overrides into one of the ${rc_conf_files}
| instead and you will be able to update these defaults later without
| spamming your local configuration information.
+---------------------------------------------------------------------

As I can see, you have just copied /etc/defaults/rc.conf over /etc/rc.conf,
then edited some variables, and left the rest untouched.
Now your /etc/rc.conf, apart from other, has the following lines:

> #!/bin/sh
> #
>
> # This is rc.conf - a file full of useful variables that you can set
[...]
> rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local"
[...]
> for i in ${rc_conf_files}; do
> 	if [ -f $i ]; then
>         	. $i