Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:55:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        dg@Root.COM, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, chad@gaianet.net
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

> 2501 isn't that good of a router?  How much does it cost for the 4000 and
> is there a AccessPC Card version of it?

I'm a bit rusty, but my recollection is this:

The 2501 uses a medium to low speed 68000 processor and does no "fast
switching" (i.e. the interface has a cache w/hardware to look up routes
without involving the processor, which just processes routing updates
and downloads the tables into the cache).

The AccessPC card is a version of the 2501 that plugs into a PC, but
all it does is get power and save space.  You still have to have a
Ethernet card in the PC and run drops from both cards to your LAN.

The 4000M uses the same or a little faster 68000, and does do some fast
switching.  The 4500 uses a 100Mhz MIPS processor, and the 4700 uses a
133Mhz MIPS.

I don't remember pricing on the 4000, but the 4500/4700 with ethernet
and high speed serial interfaces are something around $15K.

--
Alan Batie                   ______
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Assimilate this!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.