Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 09:21:26 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re:  Problems with 2940 and 950210snap

>  If I try to backup something to the DAT, mainly from the scsi disk, the system
>  panics randomly after a few megabytes (it lasts much longer when data comes
>  from the IDEs disks but it also panics..)

I am not sure this will help you, but I have a Adaptec 1542 and a Sony DAT.
FreeBSD 2.x is a lot more picky about DAT use than FreeBSD 1.x, namely it does
not like extremely large blocksizes. The problems I had were in reading a tape
with dd or restore that was created with large blocksizes causes the system to
panic. tar is a little more stable. try:

/sbin/dump 0usdf 3940 61000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rsd0a

--mark.