Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:28:10 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: staroffice 5.2 not finding sofficerc and all faq's fail

From: tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de (Tobias Ernst)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:33:16 +0200

> The symptom is well known - install and user install works, and then
> when the uers starts soffice, he'll get a dialog box complaining about
> Staroffice not being able to find /home/username/office52/users/sofficerc though the file is there.

All I can say is that this appears to be a real Heisenbug.  I've seen
it myself, and in fact I can't get StarOffice to work for anything on
my desktop box even though it USED to work there.  It works fine on my
laptop and on another desktop box of mine, however, and from all I can
see the permissions are correct and everything else is identical on
the various machines.  I've even removed that sofficerc file and
watched StarOffice happily create it again, but still the error
message.  Whatever the problem is, when we eventually find it we're
probably going to see that it was something really strange, like the
permission on some completely unrelated file under /compat/linux or
whether or not your machine's name starts with the letters a, r, q or
w or something. :-)

- Jordan