Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 06:57:16 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making nmdm(4) emulate actual speed.

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:47:39AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I participated in an "Editor Celebrity Death Match" recently and
> being the senior combatant my weapon of choice was ed(1).  To
> properly show off ed(1)'s main weakness I wanted to run my slides
> in ed(1) on a 300 bps line.
>
> Rather than use two USB-serial dongles and a usb-hub, I hacked nmdm(4)
> up to actually respect the baud-rate set with stty.
>
> Would this be considered generally useful ?

being nmdm(4) an emulation tool, i'd say definitely yes, probably
even more useful if you provide a knob to enable/disable the speed
emulation -- i see a point in actually emulating the wire speed,
but also one in not doing so when the application is not speed-sensitive
and you just want it to run quickly.

cheers
luigi