Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:42:32 +0100
From:      Philipp Mergenthaler <un1i@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        q9405096@brampton.cqu.edu.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install behind firewall; FTP over HTTP proxies.

In article <873dtu$gcc$1@atlantis.rz.tu-clausthal.de> you wrote:55
> I've been given a lab machine at uni to do an install of (OS of choice)
> on.  I haven't played with the BSDs yet, but from the small amounts of the
> install program I've seen, it looks quite good.

> My problem: Can I use an HTTP proxy (squid) to install FreeBSD?  If not,
> I'll revert to Debian, as I don't have time to wait for a CD to arrive.

FreeBSD-current has this option. You'd have to get the boot disk
images (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) from e.g.
ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/4.0-20000127-CURRENT/floppies/

(Sorry, I don't know if there's an australian server with snapshots
of FreeBSD-current).

Since you don't have experience with FreeBSD, I'd suggest you don"t
install -current, though. :-) In the main menu of the installation
program, go to "options" and enter 3.4-RELEASE in the field for the
release to install.

If the download per proxy doesn't work, please let me know.

Bye, Philipp

--
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/