Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:50:19 -0400
From:      Mike Sawicki <fifi@HAX.ORG>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange lockups in 3.2-STABLE

I have been having some problems with my recently updated 3.2-STABLE system.
I had been running 3.1-RELEASE for over 2 months with no problems.  I
updated my system binaries and kernel last week, and since then I have
noticed less stability on the machine.  First of all, my ide controller
seems to be issuing a lot more error messages like this one:

wd1: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0)
wd1: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4

My machine is not completely scsi.  I use cheap ide disks for
backup and scratch space purposes.  Until the upgrade, I would
get the timeout errors only every once and a while, now they
happen especially during bootup (fsck's and so on).  Aside from
that, the machine has locked up completely on 2 occasions
in the last 24 hours.  I get no console messages and no logs
whatsoever explaining whats happening.  I am running 3.2-STABLE
now with SMP enabled.  I used the same configuration file I
used when I compiled the 3.1-REL kernel about 2 months ago,
and the machine was genuinely more happy that way.  The only
change I made was adding ccd support to the new kernel, but
I can't help think thats unrelated.  Any ideas?  Need more
info?  I switched to stable for a reason, stability! :)  it's
not cooperating.

Thanks,
--
[ Mike Sawicki < f i f i at HAX d.o.t org >  *DIE SPAM BOTS!*  ]
[ UNIX Systems Administrator, bitWizard & Digital Audio Fiend  ]

 --- "i am AN hacker." ---