Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 2021 21:10:05 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Brandon Bergren <bdragon@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 13 vs. kern.vty=sc or kern.vty=vt: a note on the current PowerMac status

Long ago we had an exchange about what was happening for sc for
13. I'd provided some notes about contexts in which vt or sc
did not work in my environment. I've rechecked some contexts
and found that for:

# ~/fbsd-based-on-what-freebsd-main.sh mm-src
818390ce0ca539300dd15d7a817784f1e3f7a9b8
CommitDate: 2021-01-13 14:54:46 -0800
4180404713ec 818390ce0ca5 (HEAD -> mm-src) mm-src snapshot for mm's =
patched build in git context.

(I run with patches to work around various FreeBSD problems
with handling old PowerMacs. That is why it is not just
818390ce0ca5.)

PowerMac7,2 G5: vt works, sc hangs just after "Kernel entry at 0x100580 =
...".

iMac G3 (PowerMac4,1): sc works, vt fails (showing a blank screen).

(These are basic console-display tests, not validation that most =
everything
displayed well.)

Unfortunately the old 2-socket-/2-cores-each G5 with the Radeon X1950
suffered heat-death (CPU cooling failure). It used to be that vt
mishandled a 2560x1440 display for this context and caused a boot-crash.
I used to have to use sc instead to use that display. (I do still have
access to the video card but it is not in any machine.)

I can say that, on the GeForce 7800 GT based 2-socket-/2-cores-each G5,
vt works with that same display. sc does not display fancy open/close
double quotes correctly in man output: a sequence of odd symbols =
instead.
But its basics were working, using somewhat less of the display area.

The other PowerMac contexts that I can still readily test
still basically work for both vt and sc booting.

None of my activity attempts to get X going: just console display.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went