Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      robb@datatone.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   misc/13341: FAQ 8.7 addition - booting drive 1 from NT loader

>Number:         13341
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       FAQ 8.7 addition - booting drive 1 from NT loader
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have been booting freebsd from my second drive for quite a while now, but
I find it annoying having to run through the freebsd boot manager prompt,
then the windows NT prompt. To resolve this I created bootd1.bin (from
bootd1.asm, a nasm program) which will boot drive 1. So as an addendum to
FAQ 8.7 "How can I use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD? I would like to add
the fix.

>How-To-Repeat:
Have a job that requires you to use Windows/NT most of the time.
Install Windows/NT on wd0, install FreeBSD on wd1. Install the boot
manager (you have to).

>Fix:
If you are booting FreeBSD from drive 1 you have installed the boot manager
on both drives. In order to boot FreeBSD from the NT loader, copy bootd1.bin
to your C:\ directory. Do an edit the boot.ini file as described in FAQ 8.7
above, adding instead C:\BOOTD1.BIN="FreeBSD". Now do an fdisk /mbr from
DOS to restore your boot sector. When you boot up and choose "FreeBSD" from
the prompt disk 1 will boot putting you into the boot manager there.

When I have some free time later I will add a utility to modify the boot
sector of disk 1 to use the straight boot loader instead of the boot manager.

The most up to date versions of these files will be available at
www.datatone.com/~robb/bootd1.asm and www.datatone.com/~robb/bootd.bin