Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:25:51 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd is jumpy

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9912060227040.58893-100000@rapidnet.com>,
Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>
>> Brian Dean writes:
>> > No dropped packets, but definitely some occasional long delays before
>> > I get the echo.  However, I must concede, based on other respondants,
>> > that something else must be going on and I cannot necessarily
>> > attribute this to divert/firewall/natd.
>

>	I forgot to mention, are you connecting at V.90 speeds?  If so
>	renegotiations/retrains will take place and you will see a speed
>	jump or hesitation.  Disable this in the modem.  There are
>	specific S registers to do this...

Ummm yea!  That comment reminds me about all of the V.90 modem woes
I was experiencing awhile back.

I had an older Zoom 56k modem that seemed to work just fine with my _old_
ISP.  Then I changed ISPs, and I started to see frequent problems.  Some-
times the modem would just seem to take a little nap for about 30 seconds
or so.  (Perhaps it was doing that retraining/renegotiation thing.  I'm
not sure.)  But other times, I would just abruptly lose carrier for no
apparent reason.  (This was an external modem, so I could watch the
various LEDs.)

Of course, at first I blamed my new ISP.  I figured that _they_ were doing
something wrong because the modem had woked just fine with my prior ISP.
So I called them up and started giving their tech support folks a hard
time... in a friendly way of course. :-)

The only idea/theory/suggestion that they came up with was that I must
have a modem with Rockwell 56K chipset in it, and they said that they
had had a number of problems with people using Rockwell-based modems
because (they alleged) the Rockwell chipset was less than perfect, and
because it didn't play well with the Lucent-chipset-based stuff that
they had in their Portmasters.

OK, so I run down to the local computer store and I'm looking for a
_new_ V.90 modem with a *Lucent* chipset.  The only one they had was
a newer version of the same bloody Zoom modem I already have.  Now I
already don't like Zoom, because their tech support sucks, but I buy
one of these new Zoom modems with the Lucent chipset anyway.

Result:  I have _never_ had a single problem since.

The only problem I have now is finding the time to list the old (Rockwell-
based) modem on eBay. :-)

P.S.  Please DO NOT flame me for any of the above.  I most definitely
DO NOT own stock in either Lucent or Rockwell, and I would be the first
one to admit that I have absolutely NO IDEA for sure what exactly was
causing my earlier problems with the Rockwell-based Zoom modem.  For
all I know, it was working fine and I just had it configured wrong.
I'm just telling the story, as it happened.

P.P.S.  More info:

Model # of old modem: Zoom 2849
Model # of new modem: Zoom 2949L