Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:18:12 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        zoonie@myhouse.com
Cc:        cassy@loop.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Drives for backups?

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:17:38 -0400 (EDT)
zoonie <zoonie@myhouse.com> wrote:

zoonie> from what i remember reading about the travan drives they were
zoonie> slow but i have never used one on freebsd.  i currently use
zoonie> some refirbished exabyte 8200 8mm tape drives.  they work
zoonie> great...

Hi Carlos!

I have a HP Colorado TR-4 drive. Cost about $350 mailorder. Tapes are
about $30-$35 each. They hold 4GB to 8GB. Transfer rate is said to be
about 30MB-60MB/minute.

I like the fact that they're linear, modified QIC designs rather than
the delicate helical scan.

But I haven't used mine enough in a production environment to put it
to the real torture test -- so far it's been fine though for my little
home net.

They work fine under FreeBSD. I'm backing up a 2GB Sun over the net to
one attached to a 486dx100 FreeBSD-2.2 box.