Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:15:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@internode.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA Upgrade Question/Problem

At 08:50 PM 12/10/96 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> Is there some kind of a known bug in the 2.2-ALPHA install program (from
>> boot.flp) which kills off the partition table when you try to upgrade?  I
>> tried it twice to verify that there was a problem.
>
>No, not a known one. :-(
>
>I'll try an upgrade later on today with 2.2-almost-BETA

Hopefully it works.  I will be trying it again on 486Quick150, probably on
the weekend, assuming my new TR-4 drive gets here tomorrow so I can back the
silly thing up without using 10 QIC-80 tapes.  :-)  The only (partially)
saving grace is that hobbes has some slightly strange hardware.  The machine
is an old 386/40 ISA, and it uses a GSI model 21 EIDE controller with a
Western Digital 2420 drive.  The controller has it's own BIOS, so it COULD
be some kind of whacky thing with this particular card.  It still really
irks me that it worked fine upgrading to 2.1.6, and now will not work going
up to 2.2-ALPHA.

In any case, 486Quick150 has a newer motherboard with a generic VESA EIDE
controller (it uses an old OPTI chipset for the EIDE), so I will try it on
there.  I will also possibly try another VESA controller from another
machine (I don't remember what it is, but it's different), and maybe even
try it on my server machine (much newer on board PCI EIDE controller) and
see what happens if it still doesn't work.

Let me know if it is magically fixed in -current so I don't waste a bunch of
time trying to find something that is already fixed.  I've been too low on
disk space to compile a -current, but I have 3 more 1.6 gig drives coming
tomorrow which should fix that problem.

I did something else silly in the install program last night installing
2.2-ALPHA from scratch onto Hobbes.  It sig 11'd and said "I'm Dead".  but I
cannot for the life of me remember what I was doing.  Don't worry too much
about that one, as I think I did something stupid rather than the install
program.  (not that it should ever die...).  If I can remember what it is,
or I run into it again, I'll let you know.

Later......                                             <Doug>