Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 10:38:45 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        jedi <jedi@brockville.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion

-On [19991211 04:01], jedi (jedi@brockville.com) wrote:
>There may be more I'm not seeing, but your hardware compatibility could
>stand to list more devices.  For example I'd like to buy SmartLink (I
>have the chipsets) NICs before I next boot my BSD box, but the listing
>for NICs doesn't seem to be available
>(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/hw.html).

Ehm.

Let me take some time to explain this better.

1) We are an Open Source community

2) We write (almost) everything ourselves

3) This includes device drivers

4) All hardware listed on the hardware list are currently
(well-)supported within FreeBSD

5) unsupported devices need hackers/developers to create the device
drivers.

So basically you either write your own driver and let the community test
it, or you give a likewise card to a certain developer and try to pry
loose documentation from the company so that he/she can hack together a
driver.

Also, what chipset is it?  10 to 1 Bill Paul wrote a driver for it.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...