Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:43:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I almost hate to suggest this...

:> > mount_foo should almost never be used directly.  It should be in /libexec
:>
:> Then why have mount_foo at all?
:
:Please don't remove mount_foo. I've been able to save several installations
:by using mount_nfs directly from a nearby FreeBSD box (and have been unable
:to use the fixit floppy because of floppy drive problems).
:
:Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

    Just a quick side note:  Many people forget that FreeBSD can boot into
    single user via a CDRom drive.  *NOT* the BIOS here, the kernel.  That is,
    if you have broken your system but you can still get a boot: prompt
    and load a kernel (from floppy or the HD), if you boot with the -C option
    from the boot: prompt and have the 'live filesystem' CDRom (CDRom #2 in
    the distribution set, I believe) in the CDRom drive, the system will
    come up single user with the CDRom mounted as root without mounting the
    hard drive (beyond possibly loading the kernel from it, that is).

    This makes it phenominally easy to fix a hard drive.  Most of the time,
    the /kernel image on the HD still works and you don't even need a floppy
    based kernel!

    CDRom drives are extremely inexpensive these days: usually around $50 and
    I've started hearing friends say they've seen them down to $25.  It is
    well worth having one installed even if you have an old BIOS that cannot
    boot directly from it.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)